How To Get Rich: The Distilled Wisdom of One of Britain’s Wealthiest Self-Made Entrepreneurs
by Felix Dennis, published 2009
This will likely be one of the shortest reviews on record here. One reason is because I don’t want to spoil too much of this book for anyone else who might be interested in it; I do think it has to be fully read by oneself for it’s message to be understood.
Another reason is that I am not rich myself, so I don’t know how valuable my critical impressions of Dennis’s logic and experience will be and I don’t have any real opportunity to run a controlled experiment and find out. I’m going to take his thesis into mind and live my life as I see fit and maybe I’ll end up rich, or at least quite wealthy.
When Dennis says “rich” he means “filthy” rich. As in, it’d take several generations of slouches to piss through it all. This is the kind of rich he’s talking about. He’s not talking about retiring with a pension. And this book is psychological in that Dennis spends a lot of time detailing the mindset and motivations of people who are rich, not just particular strategies or actions to achieve this level of wealth (though he discusses that, too).
Besides the survey of rich life and rich world views, the book provides numerous general lessons on business, business management and entrepreneurial practices which are all valuable in their own right even if one doesn’t want to be rich, but doesn’t feel like being poor, either.
This book’s strongest point is honesty. And now, Felix Dennis’s “Eight Secrets to Getting Rich”:
- Analyze your need. Desire is insufficient. Compulsion is mandatory.
- Cut loose from negative influences. Never give in. Stay the course.
- Ignore ‘great ideas’. Concentrate on great execution.
- Focus. Keep your eye on the ball marked ‘The Money Is Here’/
- Hire talent smarter than you. Delegate. Share the annual pie.
- Ownership is the real ‘secret’. Hold on to every percentage point you can.
- Sell before you need to, or when bored. Empty your mind when negotiating.
- Fear nothing and no one. Get rich. Remember to give it all away.